Thursday, August 7, 2008

For Jason





YESTERDAY

Days go by,
routines expected
nothing neglected,
and I am the same as yesterday,

Perhaps a little glitch here or there,
traffic jammed
some god is damned,
and I am the same as yesterday.

The same air, same scenery
and around the wheel spins
again,
and again
and again…

Then a car crunches the gravel
as I sit upstairs, wondering
who might be coming at this hour.

Down the stairs to the knock,
familiar faces
and everything goes still at the sight
of eyes,
mouths
and souls
frozen in pain,
and I cry “no!”

Reality recedes and a little ghost
flickers like light caught in a tear,
too small to make much difference,
trying to reassure
his father…
to no avail.

There is no deeper place to fall
than the ground,
collapsing is it’s own kind of song,
and I come to
screaming at the empty night sky,

The same sky
holding the same sliver of moon
that witnessed the slaughter
of my beautiful boy,
yesterday.

end/michael - 8/7/2008

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Mike, I wish you Peace. I too think of Jason often as I do all the young men that were killed with him. I understand what you are feeling as I have been where you are. My son also was with the 173rd Airborne Brigade. He died Christmas Eve 2003 in Iraq. If you ever need to talk I am always here to listen. I am the Gold Star Chairperson for the 173rd Airborne Brigade Assoc. My thoughts, prayers and love are with you. Mommaski
Deb Yashinski
Proud Gold Star Mother of
Sgt Michael Yashinski
12/24/2003 Kirkuk, Iraq
173rd Airborne Brigade