Monday, October 21, 2019

EROS TO SAINT TERESA


Eros spoke, "May I touch your flesh,
press this dart into your lovely breast?
You will swoon dear one,
my poison must infect your heart
and make you forget the mundane,
those who watch your eyes fall shut
will surely think you quite insane.
This world with all her woes will disappear from sight,
then pure ecstasy, as you slip from your body,
and soar into the calm of the buoyant night."

Teresa whispered in her sleep,
"I have never known a man,
nor will I defile this flesh,
such love will never scorch my soul,
no palm nor lip shall cross my breast;
please take your barb and fly away,
let me wake another day
to love my God and serve my Lord,
murmur my prayers, recite His Words."

Eros held the shaft aloft,
tilted his head and exposed her soul,
"Dear Teresa, do you not understand?
Your God has come disguised as a man,"
and drove his arrow home.

end/Michael Bogar

No comments: