Friday, September 12, 2008

Something Only A Man Can Understand

Clearly there are some things only the Feminine can understand, the ultimate love of her child over any and all other. And there are some things only the Masculine can understand, the ultimate love of devotion to a cause bigger than himself over any and all other. The 17th century English poet, Richard Lovelace knew this well.

Dedicated to my honorable son, Jason Michael Charles Bogar, who died on July 13, 2008 while protecting his fellow soldiers and defending his country and the world from inhumane tyranny.

Off to the English Civil War


Tell me not, sweet, I am unkind
That from the nunnery
Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
To warlike arms I fly.

True, a new mistress now I serve
The first foe in the field
And with a sterner faith embrace
The sword, a horse, a shield.

Yet this inconstancy is such
As thou too shalt adore.
I could not love thee, dear, so much
Loved I not honor more.

Richard Lovelace

No comments: