Saturday, February 28, 2009

Soul is Made by Love and Death: Guest Lecture

Dr. Randy Pausch died a few weeks after he gave this 10 minute talk. He knew he was dying. I rarely watch or listen to anything on YouTube over 2 minutes in length. I couldn't stop listening to this one. It is soul-making at its best.

In some ways it reminds me of my son Jason who died defending human dignity and freedom in Afghanistan on July 13, 2008, but almost everything reminds me of Jason these days. He has become my master teacher. Jason never once showed me that he looked at life as something to preserve. He lived it as his heart called him to his next mission.

The Greek word Psyche, or Soul, means night moth. Love and Death are the twin flames that draw our Psyche forward into soul-making. One draws us into the heights, the other into the depths. Love draws us by pleasure, extroversion and attraction, Death by pain, introversion and intrigue (often terror). As you will see in this brief farewell lecture, Death makes souls expand in ways Life never could.

YouTube - Inspirational Speech by Dr. Randy Pausch On the Oprah Winfrey Show: The Last Lecture. Dr. Pausch Passed Away On Jul..

No comments: